Re: Operating on yanked region

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Operating on yanked region
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 20:59:47 +0300

> From: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
> Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 13:07:12 +0200
>
> When I paste text from a Windows application to my Emacs (running
> mainly Org-mode), I get wrong charset.

That shouldn't happen, as Emacs uses Unicode to get text from the
clipboard.  There should be no charsets involved here.

Does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  If so, what version of Emacs is that,
and is it a native Windows build or a Cygwin build?

If this doesn't happen in "emacs -Q", look at your customizations to
find the culprit, especially those related to encoding/decoding
selections.

> For correcting such wrong character sets, I want to write a function
> that corrects the charset.

This shouldn't be needed (and if it is, then it's impossible in
general, because Windows attempts to translate characters, and does
that lossily).  Suggest instead to find out why Unicode retrieval
doesn't work.