Re: Overriding emacs key bindings

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Overriding emacs key bindings
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 03:33:28 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
writes:

> On my keyboard the menu/apps key is next to
> ctrl.

Yes, deeming from your image, I think we have
the same type of keyboard.

For many years I had a lovely Sun keyboard but
step by step it disintegrated and now I have
a mundane keyboard, along with the Microsoft
flag, and even the Swedish char layout!

Hideous - but I suppose it won't matter, as
I know where the US layout keys are by know.

Perhaps I should do like in the Angelina Jolie
movie, where the dude sprays his keyboard in
a uniform color. I did that myself with
a bicycle trailer when I created my new
office [1] so I don't see why it shouldn't
work again.

> While your fingers are on the main part of
> the keyboard you can press ctrl using the
> bottom of your index finger, the part between
> the finger and the palm. You can press the
> menu key in the same way.

... really? You do that? Far out :) Does that
have a name? Let me reveal my inexperience by
admitting I never heard of it. Myself, my claim
to fame is my dynamic signature, below - cute,
to say the least :)

Speaking of keys and stuff I never heard of,
the AltGr key ows its name from the following
fragment of computer history:

    AltGr was originally introduced as a means
    to produce box-drawing characters, also
    known as pseudographics, in text
    user interfaces. [2]

Facts - for fans! (Hey, reading that, I'm
almost starting to *like* the key...)

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photos/supertramp-1.jpg

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=AltGr&printable=yes

                   - so far: 33 Blogomatic articles -