Re: Emacs conventions (was: Re: Overriding emacs key bindings)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs conventions (was: Re: Overriding emacs key bindings)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 07:22:54 +0200

> Yes, they are good to be aware of. But again,
> they are for someone writing a library for
> more than personal use. They are in no way
> restrictions on users.
>
> There is no convention (that I know of) that
> restricts key bindings for users or even
> suggests that users should stay away from
> certain keys.

OK.

No doubt, disregarding conventions in code that
is supposed to be shared - you should have
a very good reason for doing that! (The
assumption being the convention makes sense.)

Still, there is a hesitation in my mind doing
a to sharp division between libraries that are
professional, and then the user stuff... The
user stuff is the best school. So it is a good
place to start acting like a skilled
programmer, and that skilled programmer may
well write or contribute to a library, and that
doesn't have to take three decades like some
people think....

As they say in boxing, "you want to be
a champion? Start acting like one, today".

So a list of conventions, good habits, known
pitfalls, etc. is a good idea. (Perhaps it can
in large parts be compiled from different parts
of existing material.) Just a thought - I'm not
up for the job myself :)

But here is one thing that might help for code that
is a package:

    (defun check-package-style ()
      (interactive)
      (checkdoc-current-buffer t) ; TAKE-NOTES
      (message "Style check done.") )

Eh :)

                   - so far: 33 Blogomatic articles -