Re: the dumb Emacs terminal

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: the dumb Emacs terminal
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 00:38:22 +0200

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

>> And does the Emacs terminal have to be dumb?
>
> M-x shell isn't really a terminal (emulator)
> at all, which is also why you can't run e.g.
> htop there.

Right, you can't use even more basic stuff like
'clear'. Is it just able to output new lines,
not change the state of what has already
been outputted?

> If you try "tput setaf 2 && echo green" in
> either M-x term or M-x ansi-term, you'll see
> that it does work there.

Now it is beyond Las Vegas - it is a *circus*!

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/figures/emacs/emacs-terminal-emulator.png

> I nonetheless prefer M-x shell over Emacs's
> terminal emulators.

Why go into the small workshop, when there is
a big?

Only a lot of shortcuts including M-x seem to
be shadowed by the shell, that must be dealt
with as I seldom or never use them with the
shell but with Emacs I do it all the time
obviously. So it should be mergable that way,
God willing.

                   - so far: 56 Blogomatic articles -