Re: the dumb Emacs terminal

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: the dumb Emacs terminal
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 07:29:26 +0200

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

> I like the simplicity and that I can work
> in/with the *shell* buffer just like any
> "normal" buffer.

Yeah, no, I think with the line mode it is very
much a normal buffer. I think that in all
essence is it, rather than the
line/char distinction.

I put it (the switch to line mode) in the
`term-mode-hook', and the hook executes all
well, but I still have to change it manually -
perhaps the hook is run at a time when it
doesn't take, so the first (automatic)
invocation for this reason doesn't work.

> Many of the things I previously would have
> done in a terminal emulator that wouldn't
> have worked well in M-x shell I now do in
> various Emacs modes anyway. (Mail, some
> version control tasks, reading man
> pages, etc.)

Indeed, however I think the shell is the
exception to the rule it is better to do
everything in Emacs. The reason I want the
shell (a terminal) in Emacs is that sometimes
I want to use the output from a shell tool in
Emacs, or the other way around, run a shell
tool on some piece of data I have in an Emacs
buffer, and tho I can make the transition Emacs
to/from the shell with no loss, having it all
in Emacs start-to-finish just simplifies this
even more.

                   - so far: 56 Blogomatic articles -