Can't Stop Tramp from invoking my login fish shell

From: ded
Subject: Can't Stop Tramp from invoking my login fish shell
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 06:00:50 -0800 (PST)

All,

I have started using the fish shell, which I like for interactive use.  I have
set it to be my default shell with chsh.

However, it does not play well with TRAMP, which uses the 'COMMAND && COMMAND'
syntax in several places.   When I open a file in a remote dir over TRAMP, I
get and error complaining about fish not implementing the && construct.

I believe TRAMP always uses /bin/sh as the shell on the remote side, so I'm
guessing this is invoking it on the local side.

The error message pops up in a *temp* buffer, which goes away when I type
anything in it, but it says something like this:

Unsupported use of && ...
fish: scp -p -q -r ... && echo tramp_exit_status 0 || echo tramp_exit_status 1

I have tried setting explicit-shell-file-name to "/bin/bash" and setting SHELL
environment variable to "/bin/bash" with setenv when tramp is loaded.

None of this has stopped this message.

Any idea what is happening?