RE: customized buffer list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: customized buffer list
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 14:52:02 -0700 (PDT)

> Today I got inspired to make Emacs work better for me. The buffer list
> (C-x C-b) has abbreviated buffer names. Also the size and mode columns
> I rarely use.
> I began to look for an option to customize the buffer list or an
> alternative to it. I started to look at the code for buffer-list() and I
> got scared. It is twisted and it uses function names beginning with an
> uppercase letter! Couldn't find any customization. I found the well-hidden
> ibuffer, but that didn't give me what I was seeking. I found Buffer Menu
> Plus (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BufferMenuPlus) and that allows
> hiding the mode. Anyone have recommendations for any other solutions?

Buffer-Menu+ lets you customize the buffer-menu display in
many ways, including wrt the size and mode fields.

Unfortunately, it requires the Emacs 23 (or earlier) version
of vanilla buff-menu.el - it does not work with 24.2 or
later.  Starting with Emacs 24.2, Emacs based buff-menu.el
on `tabulated-list-mode', which is more restricted.

I have not bothered to update buff-menu+.el to fit with
the newer versions of buff-menu.el.  I kinda doubt that
I will ever bother to do that.  (Maybe I should just
incorporate the vanilla Emacs 23 buff-menu.el code into
buff-menu+.el.)

You can probably find the Emacs 23 version of buff-menu.el.
If not, ibuffer might give you some of what you want.
(Ibuffer has many other features that buff-menu+.el does
not have.  And buff-menu+.el has features that ibuffer
does not have.)