Re: customized buffer list

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: customized buffer list
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 03:52:47 +0200

Kevin Buchs <kevin.buchs@gmail.com> writes:

> Today I got inspired to make Emacs work better for me. The buffer list
> (C-x C-b) has abbreviated buffer names. Also the size and mode columns
> I rarely use. I began to look for an option to customize the buffer
> list or an alternative to it. I started to look at the code for
> buffer-list() and I got scared. It is twisted and it uses function
> names beginning with an uppercase letter!

;-)

> Couldn't find any customization. I found the well-hidden ibuffer, but
> that didn't give me what I was seeking.

I think you might like it.  You can switch between several different
totally configurable layouts with the ` key.  Two formats are
preconfigured, the second is simpler and comes with no ellipses.

There is a lot to customize (see M-x customize-group ibuffer RET), in
particular, the option to change the formats is `ibuffer-formats'.

Regards,

Michael.