Re: Message queue for Emacs?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Message queue for Emacs?
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:50:36 -0700

>> a lot of Emacs commands send a (message "...") for a user in the echo
>> area.  Now imagine a command that sends more than of them (not unlikely
>> e.g. if there are a few hooks, each printing a message).  Of course,
>> only the last one is then visible.  Is there any way for the next
>> message to be printed with some delay, so that the previous one is still
>> visible, say, for a second or two?
>>
>> I know about C-h e (view-echo-area-messages), but this is not what I'm
>> after.
>
> See `sit-for' and `sleep-for'.

The disadvantage of that is that it would be blocking. It could be
interesting if Emacs just piled up messages and displayed them one per
second, without blocking whatever comes next. If whatever comes next
waits for user input in the minibuffer, hitting any key would cancel/flush
the rest of the queue.

I can imagine all kinds of things going wrong, but it could be fun.