Re: Message queue for Emacs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Message queue for Emacs?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 02:37:23 +0200

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> a lot of Emacs commands send a (message
> "...") for a user in the echo area.
> Now imagine a command that sends more than of
> them (not unlikely e.g. if there are a few
> hooks, each printing a message). Of course,
> only the last one is then visible. Is there
> any way for the next message to be printed
> with some delay, so that the previous one is
> still visible, say, for a second or two?

Easy!

First re-write `message' and re-compile Emacs
to put all messages in a data structure, then
setup the idle timer with some periodic delay,
say every one or two seconds, to clear the list
message by message and have them appear in
a three or four line buffer that appears at the
bottom of the screen whenever there are
messages, and disappears when the data
structure is empty!

That should be pretty simple :)

As for advice as proposed in another post that
would I suspect only be a partial solution as
`message' is in C, and probably often called
from C as well.

> I know about C-h e (view-echo-area-messages),
> but this is not what I'm after.

Why not? Just open the *Messages* buffer when
you feel like you have missed a message or two.

In general I think that the messages are an
underpowered feature in Emacs. In particular,
I'd like a list with unasked for messages that
won't be displayed. Every time a message is to
be displayed, that list would be consulted to
see if there is a match, and if it is, it
shouldn't be displayed.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573