Re: Using "Emacs Configure" **and** modifying .emacs

From: Ronald Fischer
Subject: Re: Using "Emacs Configure" **and** modifying .emacs
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 09:21:06 +0200

> > Now, the interactive emacs configuration
> > **also** modifies .emacs. What do I have to do
> > to keep my settings and thos Emacs is writing,
> > apart? I don't want Emacs to override my
> > settings
>
> Good intuition! One of many reasons not to
> use Configure.

... except that the FAQ explicitly suggest using Configure, when you
want to learn from it, how to customize Emacs:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/efaq.html#Using-Customize

Funnily, when you search the FAQ how to do certain common
configurations, the suggestions always say that you should modify your
.emacs.... Kind of contradiciting.

Ronald