Re: unable to visit /ftp:address@hidden:~

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: unable to visit /ftp:address@hidden:~
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 23:59:23 +0200

Hi emacs lovers,
* Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> [2017-08-17; 00:38]:↵
> * Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> [2017-08-16; 12:01]:
[... emacs trunk works now with ftp-ssl ...]
>> Btw, you don't need to set "-p" explicitely. See
>> `ange-ftp-try-passive-mode' and `ange-ftp-passive-host-alist'.
>
> Also yes, the only needed extra arg with respect to emacs'
> default configuration of ange-ftp-ftp-program-args is "-e", as
> you posted prior.
>
> And for the record: ange-ftp is able to use login credentials in
> ~/.authinfo.gpg when told so via ange-ftp-netrc-filename.
>

> I now have to find out, what in my configuration hinders
> emacs/ange-ftp to list ftp directory contents.  I assume it's my
> dired-listing-switches setting, I'll investigate after having a
> sleep.

OK, I have dired-listing-switches set to "-altrF
--group-directories-first --block-size='1" and I use package
dired-quick-sort which injects "--sort=version" into the ls
args.  Both do not work with ftp, at least not with the ftp
server I use.

I tried to replace the only occurrence of dired-listing-switches
in ange-ftp.el with "-al" and ditto with dired-actual-switches
but had no luck.

Since I mostly use dired on local file systems I want to use
these customizations.  At the same time I do not know how to
unload the dired-quick-sort package and it's customizations to
emacs variables.  Also I found no pre-ange-ftp-hook where I could
uncustomize these variables.  Therefore I will use an mostly
uncustomized emacs invocation for interacting with the ftp server
to my webspace.

Thanks again to Michael for making ange-ftp work with ftp-ssl.

Ciao; Gregor