Re: Emacs startup suddenly slower

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Emacs startup suddenly slower
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:53:43 -0700

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I was tinkering with my .Emacs file and I don't know what happened
>  but my Emacs startup has shot up to 83 secs compared to 4 to 7 secs
>  earlier as checked by M-x Emacs-init-time.  This was done multiple
>  times and time ranged from 45 to 85 secs

Not sure if this is relevant to your case, but at my job I use a Windows
machine with an antivirus product from Trend Micro. The antivirus
program increases Emacs's startup time with my configuration from 5
seconds to 60+ seconds - a huge increase. When profiled, almost all the
time is spent in `require' and `load'.

I suspect this is from its behavioral analysis features but I've tried
adding Emacs to its various exception lists without luck. The only thing
that restores the lower startup time is to completely kill the antivirus
program, which is unacceptable, so I just live with it.

        John