Re: killing the result of isearch

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: killing the result of isearch
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 00:51:16 +0900

> On Nov 8, 2017, at 0:26, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>>> So doesn't searching-and-replace with an empty replacement work?
>>
>> It works to accomplish the same result but it takes many more step as I
>> wrote earlier:
>>
>> isearch string
>> isearch-query-replace
>> (replace with nothing)
>> The problem with emacs and searches, is that you only search, you don't
>> *find*, as in the action of searching does not result in an object that you
>> can act upon. Which defeats the purpose of searching.
>
> It does result in an object you can act upon, if you want
> that.

Would you mind being more specific ?

I have no problem using new libraries, but I want to understand why I am
missing what I think I am missing. If I understood searches (isearches ?)
better, maybe I would not have my questions.

> Q-r is nice, and it's good you can invoke it from Isearch,
> but it is not the same thing as on-demand replacement
> during search.

Exactly.

Jean-Christophe Helary
@brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com