Re: info-find-source

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: info-find-source
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 19:52:07 +0100

On 2018-01-14, at 03:54, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> Actually, I cannot see "any gain" from
> displaying the data as a tree! The only gain
> I can see is hypertext. I see the point of
> that, but I see that as something similar of,
> you ask a person "how do you do X? what do you
> need to do it?" and s/he says "Ask P about
> that. Or go to the HW store and ask them" - if
> you on the contrary know what data you desire,
> and you know where it is, there is no need for
> any form of hypertext, be it "On-Line" or on
> the Internet. Instead of following links you go
> directly to the Rainbow's End, acquire the
> item, and return.

Hypertext is an important gain.  Convenience is another: many keys in
Info do not need two keystrokes (`i' compared to `C-s'), so I can use
Info with one hand.  (And yes, I do it quite often.)

> The drawbacks from using Info compared to text
> are it's a mode from which you have much less
> experience and thus much less fluency, and it
> isn't always true that all your tweaks and
> extensions fit seamlessly into info, while this
> cannot be an issue for text, as that is the
> original habitate anyway!

But Info derives from special-mode, and shares many keys with other
modes derived from that, like eww, dired etc.

>> And if I really wanted something like that,
>> I'd probably use "no new keystrokes to learn"
>> (using your own words!) and stick with plain
>> old `C-x n w'.
>>
>> Please try it out and tell me how your
>> solution is superior.
>
> You don't have to do `M-x text-mode RET' after
> you do `C-x n w'?

Again: why would I?  I would lose all the benefits (e.g., keybindings)
from Info-mode!

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski