Re: info-find-source

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: info-find-source
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:55:05 +0100

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>> This is the nature of this kind of search.
>> If you are searching for an item that
>> appears several times, and an instance
>> somewhere in the middle is the desired one,
>> then yes, search will have to visit each
>> preceding instance if it starts at the
>> beginning of the document. This situation is
>> a part of, but not restricted to, the
>> described "one file" method. However in time
>> you will be more sophisticated with your
>> searches. It'll also give you a spacial
>> awareness (spacial as in "space", not
>> special) of the document and what it
>> contains, which will benefit searching -
>> your use of it - even more.
>
> Yes, I could train myself to do that.
>
> But... I have `i' in Info! So why train
> myself to do something my computer (using the
> information Emacs developers put in) can
> do better?

Because you have already trained yourself to
edit text and code and that happens every day
from now on as well. No matter how much you
train with Info, you will never get to the
text/code level. And when you "train" with text
and code, you do amazing stuff - well,
hopefully, but almost certainly something more
interesting than how to navigate a browser...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573