Re: xterm vs gnome-terminal and all-the-icons.el

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: xterm vs gnome-terminal and all-the-icons.el
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 02:55:37 +0100

joakim wrote:

> I noticed that the emacs all-the-icons.el
> works in gnome-terminal, but not in xterm.
> I'm curious if its possible to get the same
> effect in xterm. Does anyone have
> this working?

I found a SX Q&A page that is helpful [1].
I modernized some of the commands I found there
tho. The ones I don't mention, I didn't get
to work.

You can find out what resources are hooked to
xterm with this command:

    $ DISPLAY=":0" appres xterm

(In X, the DISPLAY part can probably
be omitted.)

You get a lot of stuff from appres(1) (which
means "application resources" for you
Sherlocks) - the line which is important here
tho is probably one which looks like this:

    xterm*faceName:     xft:bitstream vera sans mono bold:size=12:antialias=true

This is BTW the same way it is setup in the
.Xresources file, which can then be read every
time X starts with this line in ~/.xinitrc

    xrdb ~/.Xresources

Also, they mention "xrdb -q | grep -i font"
which doesn't give anything sensible in my case
as at least I have that face, not "font" - but
yes,

    $ DISPLAY=":0" xrdb -q | grep face

works. If in doubt, grep for xterm and get
it all :)

You can also do:

    $ sudo lsof -p $(pidof xterm) | grep fonts

for where xterm then finds the fonts:

    xterm [...] /usr/share/fonts/truetype/inconsolata/Inconsolata.otf

Somewhat of a surprise, lsof(8) 8? I don't have
by default, so I had to get that, and possibly
even you as well, but the pack is also named
that so it is easy to find. Assuming Debian
forks as always...

[1]
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/96962/how-can-i-find-the-default-font-resource-xterm-is-using

--