Re: [solved]Test Alternative initialize scheme

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: [solved]Test Alternative initialize scheme
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 16:27:26 -0800

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [180405 14:02]:
> * Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com> [180405 13:50]:
> > There's a script called emacs-distribution on EmacsWiki:
> >
> > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/emacs-distribution
> >
> > It achieves the same thing you're trying to do, but using a different method
> > - it presets HOME env variable.
> >
> > Advantage over your setup - configs get ran normally, so even Customize,
> > which gets disabled by -q would work.
> >
> > Disadvantage - you can't refer to subfolders in your ~ from inside of Emacs,
> > I usually symlink the ones I need.
> >
>   Thank you. That is one of the sites that I reviewed before
>   opening this topic.

  So my usage of emacs is pretty limited, since I am "resting on my
  laurels", "enjoying a golden sunset", etc.

  Thus I discarded the goal of running more than one "kit" at a time
  and just set up two launch scripts, one which symlinks my
  "standard" .emacs.d (now located elsewhere) to ~/.emacs.d, and the
  other symlinks .spacemacs.d to ~/.emacs.d.

  It seems to be a workable solution and switching them is very fast on
  my machine. For decades I've used both terminal vim (system work via MC)
  and Gui-Emacs for coding.

  Spacemacs should turn out be a reasonable marriage of two
  paradigms - and as my wife would tell me, a reasonable marriage
  beats one made in heaven (if indeed any marriages really are).

  Seriously, spacemacs seems to be a nice piece of work. Kudos to
  the developers.
--
Tim Johnson