Re: profiler-report seems to be missing data?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: profiler-report seems to be missing data?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 21:00:05 +0300

> From: Charlie Andrews <andrews.charlie@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 13:33:19 -0400
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Sorry for the silly question: unless I'm changing some emacs-wide variable
> that might logically force some
> recomputation in those buffers (like changing the gutter after which
> characters on a given line are highlighted
> red, for example) or Emacs is under memory pressure, why would the number of
> buffers affect the time
> required for let to run?

When you bind a variable that automatically becomes buffer-local when
set, Emacs needs to make that variable buffer-local in every other
buffer you have, and that can take time if you have a lot of buffers.
Emacs used to do this even in dead buffers (those which were killed,
but not yet GCed), but we fixed that lately.