color not showing in enriched.txt example file for emacs 24.5, debian 9

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: color not showing in enriched.txt example file for emacs 24.5, debian 9
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 19:28:13 -0700

Hi,

I'm using emacs 24.5 on debian 9.

The data-directory is /usr/share/emacs/24.5/etc

In that directory there's an example enriched.txt file.

However, when i visit the file, no color is showing.  Bold face and
italics are showing.

I started emacs with 'emacs -q'  to avoid using my startup.

Note that my emacs certainly doesn't have trouble showing color in font-lock.

TIA for any info on how to get the colors to show.

dan