Re: color not showing in enriched.txt example file for emacs 24.5, debia

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: color not showing in enriched.txt example file for emacs 24.5, debian 9
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 21:44:51 +0300

> From: Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 08:03:56 -0700
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> >> However, when i visit the file, no color is showing.  Bold face and
> >> italics are showing.
> >
> > Do you see any error messages in the *Messages* buffer?
> >

> Ah, thanks Eli, a very good point!
>
> And yes i do see error messages, and yes they look quite relevant, or
> at least most of them do:
>
> Extra closing annotation (indent) in file
> Unknown annotations: (x-color x-color x-color x-bg-color x-bg-color
> x-color x-bg-color x-color x-bg-color x-color x-bg-color x-color
> x-bg-color x-color x-bg-color x-color x-bg-color x-color x-bg-color
> x-color x-bg-color x-color x-bg-color x-color x-color x-color x-color
> x-color x-color x-color x-bg-color x-bg-color x-color x-bg-color
> x-color x-bg-color x-color x-bg-color x-color x-bg-color x-color)
> Indenting...

Chrystal ball says that Debian removed some of the functionality from
enriched.el as part of the "enriched mode security vulnerability"
panic circa Emacs 25.3 release.  Looks like they removed the color
support as well, for a good measure.

IOW, I think you should complain to Debian.  Emacs 24.5 that I built
myself has no problems with colors in enriched.txt.