Re: emacsclient and reverseVideo in Xresources

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Subject: Re: emacsclient and reverseVideo in Xresources
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:02:53 +0200 (CEST)

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:47:04 +0200 (CEST)
From: Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@gmx.net>

- "emacs" launches a window with dark background
- "emacsclient -c" launches a window with dark background
- "emacs -nw" launches emacs with dark background in the terminal
- "emacsclient -nw" launches emacsclient in the terminal with WHITE background!

Why is the last one happening?

Because text-mode frames aren't sensitive to X resources: they don't
use X services to display text.

Thanks. But "emacs -nw" is a text-mode frame, and it has dark background. It's only "emacsclient -nw" that has light background. Furthermore setting the emacs global variable "inverse-video" to t does not change any behaviour, so it must be unrelated to the Xresources.

I am assuming that emacsclient is just a thin C program that manages the console itself in the "nw" case, but in the X case it communicates to emacs server and does not manage anything by itself. This could explain the different behaviour but still sounds like a bug to me.

Dimitris