Re: Problem with 'M-x shell' with (setq process-connection-type nil)

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: Problem with 'M-x shell' with (setq process-connection-type nil)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 16:50:19 +0200

 Stefan Monnier writes:

 > > With 'emacs -Q -l .emacs.debug', where the .emacs.debug file contains
 > > only:
 > >
 > >    (setq process-connection-type nil)
 > >
 > > I get [a problem with 'M-x shell']

 > Why would you do such a `setq`?

This was to solve a problem with org-mode, for which 'C-c C-e l o' is
supposed to "Export as LaTeX file and convert it to PDF, then open the
PDF using the default viewer."

For me it didn't (although the correct pdf file was indeed created).
Help from the Org mailing list and further googling suggested that the
problem might be related to 'xdg-open' and that such a setq could
solve it.  Which it did, for me, but with the aforementioned side
effect with 'M-x shell'...

Should I understand from your answer that 'M-x shell' is expected
/not/ to work with such a setq?

Regards

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr