Re: JIT Emacs parallel world

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: JIT Emacs parallel world
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 11:26:57 -0400

On Sat, October 20, 2018 6:04 am, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Phillip Lord wrote:
>

>> First, move your stuff from Emacs-24 to
>> Emacs-26 -- either one you build or
>> a pre-compiled version.
>
> OK, but this implies the same problem, only
> Emacs-27 JIT is replaced by Emacs-26. I'm happy
> to download and build Emacs-26 from Git but, again, how do I give it its
> own .emacs file and .emacs.d directory so not to interfere with my
> repository Emacs-24?

Why do you need to have two .emacs? If you are going to move from Emacs-24
to Emacs-26, then you need to *port* your existing .emacs. If you are
worried about going backward just copy it, or version it.

My own .emacs (and associated files) is fairly big and complex, but has
very minimal version specific code in it. I generally run on the head of
the release branch (currently Emacs-26) and I only support two versions
when I have to -- so when Emacs-27 is created (the branch, rather than
what is currently on master) I will do so, because Emacs-27 will be a
little unstable.

If you really need two .emacs, then you have to launch at least one Emacs
with `-q -l ~/.emacs-27" or equivalent. You can use this to reset
`user-emacs-directory'. But really consider if you need do this.