Re: 100% CPU usage on emacs startup

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: 100% CPU usage on emacs startup
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 08:38:46 +0100

>> Platform: debian 9.7 "stretch", amd64, emacs 25.1+1-4+deb9u1,
>> jdee 20180831.1500 (from melpa)

>> I'm getting a lot of messages like this, when exiting emacs, and when
>> running M-x compile :
>> Save file /tmp/JDEE_flycheck_16412_kQ/Role.java? (y, n, !, ., q, C-r or C-h)

> This problem seems to have gone away, however...

I think the reason the temp file went away was that I defined the
jdee-server-dir to point to a directory containing the jar file of the
jdee server
 https://github.com/jdee-emacs/jdee-server

>> An extra datapoint: I'm using emacs-desktop to restore the desktop where
>> this occurs.  I don't know if that's significant or not?

> When starting up and restoring the desktop emacs uses 100% of one of the
> cores, and after 1h of starup still hasn't completed (and this is a
> pretty fast machine).

> Does anyone know what causes this?  Is emacs-desktop restore and JDEE
> just a bad mix?

I think this is the case.  In one case emacs eventually came up restored
after 1h 15 minutes of 100% CPU usage on one of the cores of a 3.5GHz
Intel i5-6600 "Skylake" CPU.

However, I removed JDEE, and tried a restore, and emacs desktop restore
was taking too long to restore to be useful (I didn't let it run its
course so I don't know exactly too long).

So I reinstalled JDEE (which does Java formatting a lot better than the
plain old java-mode) and removed the .emacs.desktop and started fresh
and now it works good enough again.

So I guess the simplest solution is to simply delete the .emacs.desktop
once emacs startup becomes too slow to be useful.

It's good enough for my use case, which is basically to continue where I
was yesterday, and if I have to restart from time to time it's no worse
than when I have to restore my desktop because and OS update causes a
system restart.