Re: 100% CPU usage on emacs startup

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: 100% CPU usage on emacs startup
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2019 19:17:38 +0100

>>> An extra datapoint: I'm using emacs-desktop to restore the desktop where
>>> this occurs.  I don't know if that's significant or not?

>> When starting up and restoring the desktop emacs uses 100% of one of the
>> cores, and after 1h of starup still hasn't completed (and this is a
>> pretty fast machine).

>> Does anyone know what causes this?  Is emacs-desktop restore and JDEE
>> just a bad mix?

> I think this is the case.  In one case emacs eventually came up restored
> after 1h 15 minutes of 100% CPU usage on one of the cores of a 3.5GHz
> Intel i5-6600 "Skylake" CPU.

Now I know what happens:
When the emacs desktop is restored it restores a heap of java files with
names like this (the part after _flycheck_ is different and the filename
is different, one Java file in each directory):
 /tmp/JDEE_flycheck_1004026G/ErrorBean.java

When the files are restored they are taken to be regular .java files and
JDEE tries to figure out what project they are part of and outputs a
heap of error messages.

And the number of restored files baloons every time emacs.desktop is
restored, which eventually results in emacs spending more than 1h at
100% CPU to start up, so yes, emacs desktop and JDEE *is* a very bad
match...:-)

Is there a simple way to exclude these files from emacs.desktop restore,
I wonder...?

Excluding the entire /tmp/ directory would be fine by me.

Thanks!