Re: Gmane up again

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Gmane up again
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 00:07:22 +0100

BTW, since I started using gmane.emacs.help
again, and not gnu.emacs.help, I have only kept
one of my two eyes at what's going on there,
but it seems like there is no gateway business
going on anymore?

For example, has anyone seen the message with
the subject "printing to Canon's imageCLASS
D480 from emacs on Window 10" which just turned
up in the newsgroup? Did you mailing list guys
get that?

The only thing I can think of, if the gateway
is indeed operational, is that Gnus deletes the
messages locally for me, as they
are duplicates in a manner of speaking.

I recall something like that or some option to
that end, but it is vague. And it seems
unlikely because the Gmane newsgroup is from
news.gmane.org, and gnu.emacs.help is from
nntp.aioe.org. Earlier, I think I saw
duplicates of the traffic all the time? And if
I didn't, how could I have participated in
discussions using gnu.emacs.help?

Perhaps there is no real need to save the
newsgroup since the Usenet ship is really
sinking and has been for ages, but one can't
help but feel sorry for the guys who post their
problems there, and likely would get help, if
only they did so on the mailing list or
Gmane newsgroup instead.

Also, I still don't know what program the
supposed gateway is, where it is located, who
operates it, and so on. Obviously it would be
totally up to them if they felt the effort
still worthwhile.

Another option could be to contact the Usenet
guys (here, nntp.aioe.org) and ask them to
remove gnu.emacs.help, which perhaps would
reduce confusion and have most of the guys
asking there instead come here.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573