Re: eshell manual: texinfo question

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: eshell manual: texinfo question
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 17:53:03 +0000

On 2/14/19, Gavin Smith <gavinsmith0123@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> With makeinfo version 6.3 this renders nicely in html:
>>> <eshell.html.png>
>>> but not so nice in pdf:
>>> <eshell.pdf.png>
>>> and not in info:
>>> <eshell.info.png>
>
> In the forwarded email, these images were not present, so we can't see
> what the problem is. (I changing the mailing list to one which is more
> read.)
>
> The pdf output is the Texinfo project's problem, but how the output
> appears in Emacs Info is very likely the Emacs project's problem.

I went looking and found
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-02/msg00206.html.

Basically, cross-references in PDF have to be "heavier" than in HTML
and Info because they have to be meaningful when printed on paper.

It looks like the Emacs handling of the "*note" and "*Note" strings in
the Info viewer could be improved. If doing this kind of hiding or
transforming text in Info files, "*Note" should always be converted to
"See", but "*note" is usually best hidden. The manual author has the
option of writing "see @ref{Node}" (yielding "see *note Node::") if
they want to indicate that there should be a "see" there. IIRC the
only time when "*note" is changed to "see" is when it is inside
parentheses, as "(@pxref{Node})" (yielding "(*note Node::)") is a very
common idiom. There is no simple way I know of to indicate that a bare
cross-reference (without "see") should occur within parentheses.