Re: emacs or mutt ?

From: Philippe Delavalade
Subject: Re: emacs or mutt ?
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:08:50 +0100

Hi Jost.

Many thanks for your help.

Le dimanche 10 mars à 17:16, Joost Kremers a écrit :
> Hi Philippe,
>
> On Sun, Mar 10 2019, Philippe Delavalade wrote:
> > I don't know if it is the right place for this question because it truns
> > around emacs but also around mutt.
> >
> > I encounter a problem with emacs and mutt under gnu/linux.
> >
> > In .emacs I have the line :
> > (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
> >
> > In .muttrc I have this line :
> > set editor="emacs --eval '(text-mode)'"
>
> That looks a bit suspicious to me. I think it's better to put the
> configuration for the major mode in Emacs' init file. This is what I used to
> do when I used mutt. First, in .muttrc:
>
>    set editor = emacsclient
>
> (I used emacsclient, which I preferred, but it should work with "set editor
> = emacs" as well).

I tried but it didn't solved the problem. mutt refused to open the buffer
and quit :-(

> > Formerly, when writing a message with muut, the buffer was in text-mode
> > and fill-mode was active.
> >
> > Today, with emacs 26.1 instead of 25.3 and mutt 1.11.3 instead of
> > 1.10.1, this is no more the case.
> >
> > When I write a message in mutt, emacs is called but the buffer is in
> > fundamental mode and I must type M-x auto-fill-mode :-(.
>
> The best way to do this, I think, is to use `auto-mode-alist`. Put this in
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
>
>    (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist    '("mutt-[a-z0-9]+-[0-9]+-[0-9]+.*\\'" .
> message-mode))

I had no file ~/.emac.d/init.el

So I created it and wrote your line but it produces no effect.

Finally I put the line in .emacs and now I have what I want. I replaced
message-mode with text-mode because I don't know at all this mode but I
will try it later.

Thanks a lot.

--
Ph. Delavalade