Re: How to see the raw line endings in a file?

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: How to see the raw line endings in a file?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 21:09:52 +0200

>> In general, when a file has mixed EOLs, what will show in the mode
>> line and what in the buffer is determined by sheer luck, because
>> Emacs examines only a small portion of the file to determine the EOL
>> format, and depending on where you have CRLF and where just LF you
>> can end up with either "DOS" or ^M characters.

> Hm... so, if the is not detected as "DOS" and I mainly look at the
> start of the file, then it looks like a unix file, but could have an
> CR further down...?

> Ok, thanks for the info.  I will investigate further and report back.

Hm... looks like existing cr's are not the cause, I grepped the source
and this is all that was found:
 sb@lorenzo:~/workspaces/ws03/authservice$ grep -r $'\r' * | grep -v
node_modules | grep -v target
 Binary file authservice.web.security/src/main/resources/web/favicon.ico matches
 Binary file
authservice.web.users.frontend/src/main/frontend/public/favicon.ico matches
 sb@lorenzo:~/workspaces/ws03/authservice$

(the node_modules and target directories I'm excluding, contains
downloaded files and/or files created by the maven build process)

Thanks for your help!