Re: Source file '.../killer-source.el' newer than byte-compiled file

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Source file '.../killer-source.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 19:17:03 -0400

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>>> a.el should hold it compilation until all
>>> its `require'd files are byte-compiled!
>>>
>>> But how is that done?
>>
>> You can concoct Make rules for that
>
> ... how? You mean manually?
>
> If so, I'm afraid that's totally out of the
> question, as I have 64 `provide's and 284
> `require's!

This is called "topological sorting" and you can use
the tsort(1) program to do that, although you will have
to prepare an input file that describes the dependencies
in the format that tsort expects:

(info "(coreutils) tsort invocation")

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler