`eval-when-compile' and circular dependencies (was: Re: Source file '...

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: `eval-when-compile' and circular dependencies (was: Re: Source file '.../killer-source.el' newer than byte-compiled file)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 05:25:28 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Assuming you don't have complications like
> 'eval-when-compile', 'eval-and-compile', etc.

No, I don't have them, I think ... no, not
a single one of either!

I don't understand the purpose of them either,
too advanced for my style anyway I think.
>From the docstring of `eval-when-compile':

    Like ‘progn’, but evaluates the body at compile
    time if you’re compiling. Thus, the result of
    the body appears to the compiler as
    a quoted constant.

Okay...? ~"The result appears to the compiler
as a quoted constant..." <:|

>>> but you will have trouble if you have
>>> circular dependencies.
>>
>> No, I don't have circular dependencies, and
>> I don't think I can have them, either.
>> Actually I'm gonna try that right now...
>>
>> No, I can't
>
> Not easily, no.

Why would you want them? And how do you make it
work, if so?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573