Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 12:07:06 +0900

The more I think about Guile Emacs and the Guile project itself, I start to
think that it’s not a problem of manpower, but something more fundamental. Is
it feasible (or even possible) to make two different high level languages to
interoperate in the engine level?̊̈
For example, will it even make sense to have some Elisp macros in scheme land,
or even lua land, python land, JS land?̊̈

Even if Emacs has limited success in these problem by e.g. transpiling JS to
elisp or doing macro expansion at runtime by the Elisp engine, I would like a
JSish API for emacs when writing packages, not a low level wrapper around Elisp
APIs.
Same thing for Python, Lua, Scheme, etc...
Different languages introduce different concepts that just don’t match.
What would I do to use a Python module in JS?̊̈ Unless the language itself is
designed to be easily interoperable with elisp by superseding concepts (such as
Clojure superseding Java), I’m pretty sure many people won’t be satisfied in
any kind of implementation.

CL is one (and presumably the only) case that (at least looks like) supersedes
Elisp in concepts. (Actually it would be something more like Elisp designed
like that.) It’s a Lisp-2, it has macros, it uses S-exps, etc, etc. It also has
the advantage that we can leverage the state-of-art CL compilers that produce
insane speeds from such a dynamic language.

2019. 5. 5. 오전 9:43, Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> 작성: