Re: Disemvowelment Mode?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Disemvowelment Mode?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 10:01:29 +0200

On Tue, May 14 2019, Grant Rettke wrote:
When I am typing, most of the time I can keep up and more or less apply the simple rules I am trying to follow. The problem is when I get distracted (or tired, or the speaker goes to fast and I can't keep up) and I just start typing word-for-word. In those cases, I don't want to have to go back over the document to clean it up. That is why I was thinking about the mode "looking back at the last two words or so" to do the right thing to them.

The thing that I still don't understand, is why you would want to convert the document to shorthand at all? Isn't the purpose in the end to have a legible written version of the talk? Why would it matter when some of the words are written in full?

Having talked through this now, there is certainly a case for not
doing this in a mode  -_-  :).

Well, in any case you'd need to write a function that can disemvowel a word. You can call this function manually (or wrap it in another function that runs over a region/the buffer), or you could run it in an (idle) timer or something similar. If you use a timer, there's no reason AFAICT to *not* create a minor mode for it.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments