Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 17:07:27 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>> Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 16:22:43 +0300
>>
>> > Currently, we have many more features, but in the IDE department we
>> > lag after those "limited" alternatives.  We need to catch up.
>>
>> We are actually okay in the IDE department, with the help of the
>> community, even if you don't like to consider it to be a part of Emacs.
>
> I don't think I agree, as I hear a lot of complaints about the
> difficulties to set up an environment for working on this or that
> language.  Even if all the parts of the solution are already in place
> (and I don't think they are), the difficulty in bringing them to work
> together in a coherent way is something that needs fixing, IMO.

Those problems exists but, unfortunately, what we could do to fix them
is limited. The complexity is not on setting-up Emacs itself, but on
installing and integrating the required *external dependencies* with the
corresponding Emacs package. It is very similar to setting Emacs on
Windows to work with grep, etc but with the added problem that the
external tools are not simple executable files that you must put on the
right place, but huge frameworks that comes on several variations
depending on their version and publisher.