emacs won't start interactively

From: Joe_Trivers
Subject: emacs won't start interactively
Date: Sun, 26 May 2019 03:27:24 +0000

O great emacs wizards,

I am trying to install emacs on a new (to me) desktop Windows 10 PC. After
following the download instructions for Windows, clicking on the runemacs.exe
icon has no apparent effect. Running emacs from the command prompt with a
--help argument produces the Usage: line and list of command line options.
Running emacs as:
 emacs-26.1\bin\emacs --batch -eval (message \"hi there\")
produces the expected string:
  hi there
so apparently command line parsing and elisp execution works. However, running
just emacs-26.1\bin\emacs returns almost immediately with no output, and so
does emacs-26.1\bin\emacs -nw.

First I downloaded and unpacked emacs-26.2-i686.zip from a mirror and it didn't
work. I then tried emacs-26.2-x86_64.zip emacs-26.1-x86_64.zip from the
ftp.gnu.org site, as well as the no-deps version with emacs-26-x86_64-deps
unpacked on top. None of them worked. I moved the unpacked tree from
<me>\Downloads to c:\GNU but that didn't seem to help either.

I installed 26.1-x86_64 on a Windows 10 laptop last year (in c:\GNU) and it
works just fine. Both PCs are set up by my employer's IT department, presumably
using the same procedure. I can't figure out what's different on this system.
Using "run as administrator" doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can someone please advise me what might be wrong, or what I can try next?

/Joe

The content of this message is APPLIED MATERIALS CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify me, delete this email and do not use or
distribute this email.