Re: emacs won't start interactively

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs won't start interactively
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 19:59:46 +0300

[Please reply to the list or Reply to All, so that everybody could see
your responses.]

> From: <Joe_Trivers@amat.com>
> Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 02:13:08 +0000
>
> Hi Eli,
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> > What if you type "emacs-26.1\bin\emacs -Q", does that also exit
> > immediately?
>
> emacs -Q also exits immediately. I'm sure I tried that. I'm not where the
> machine is now so I can't try it today.
>
> > How did you unpack the zip files, exactly?
>
> I used Windows 10 native zip support. Right-click on the zip file icon, pick
> Unpack All, give it a directory name, and it unpacks all the files.
> Specifically, I gave it "c:\users\<my windows id>\Downloads\emacs-26.1" and
> it created directories bin, lib, and so on under that one.
>
> I failed to mention that I copied the emacs-26.1.exe from the laptop where
> emacs works, using ftp binary to an HP-UX system and then ftp binary from
> there to the new machine. Running that file exited immediately, too. The file
> size of the .exe was identical on the two machines: 124,661,533 bytes.

I suspect some incompatible DLLs you have on your system.  Please
download the Dependency Walker from here:

  http://www.dependencywalker.com/

and use it to show what DLLs other than those which came with the
Emacs zip files you installed Emacs binds to on your system.
Incompatible DLLs should be shown in red, but in general I'd suspect
any DLL that didn't come with Windows which is found outside the Emacs
installation tree.

Please note that there are 2 kinds of executables on the GNU FTP site:
the 32-bit and the 64-bit.  Depending on which one you installed
(x86_64 is a 64-bit build), you will need a corresponding version of
the Dependency Walker and a corresponding version of the dependency
DLLs from the FTP site.