Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 20:40:07 +0200

Xavier Maillard wrote:

> GNU Emacs has no need to be competitive IMO.
> As I am okay living right into emacs buffers,
> I do not need to compare it with competitors.

Me neither.

> I, for years, constantly was tweaking my
> .emacs for hours and hours. As to my
> surprise, I did not get the job done ;) THat
> was quite fun but, in the end, that was
> pretty conter-productive.

Same for me, only I'm not sure if I really had
done anything better had I not done it.
Maybe I'd have done 20 or so "would have been
the next Quake" only none were ever finished.
The stuff I did with Emacs at least I use every
day, it was/is fun to do, and I take happiness
and pride from that, and productivity as well,
when I do real projects - those have become
fewer and farther in-between tho, but I don't
blame Elisp for this.

> I doubt powerusers have tons of them
> installed and worst, I even doubt their
> .emacs are huge. [...]

It depends what the definition of poweruser is.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573