Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:26:16 -0400

Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:

>> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:47:14 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>>
>> > Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 06:20:00 +0200
>> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
>> > Jabber-ID: xavier@maillard.im
>> >
>> > since quite recently, I would have used only the Rmail message
>> > buffer. Then I discovered C-M-h aka `rmail-summary' which is quite
>> > convenient.  There is something quite annoying though, I do not know
>> > how to switch from rmail-summary's buffer and rmail buffer.
>> >
>> > I have read the manual and info pages but I am pretty sure there is no
>> > pretty simple way to do so.
>>
>> I don't understand the question.  Both Rmail buffer and Rmail Summary
>> buffer are just buffers, so you switch between then just like between
>> any other two buffers.  What am I missing?
>
> Maybe I am not clear (english is not my native tongue, sorry).
>
> So, I need a quick, direct and easy way to switch from a message
> buffer to the rmail-summary buffer and vice-versa.
>
> Currently, I am doing a lot of `C-x o' but as soon as there is more
> than one window, this is getting quite useless.

I haven’t ever used rmail, but Gnus has a pair of functions
gnus-summary-select-article-buffer and gnus-article-show-summary, bound
to h in gnus-summary-mode-map and gnus-article-mode-map respectively,
which allow conveniently switching between the summary buffer and the
message buffer.

I think Xavier is looking for a similar pair of functions for rmail, as
opposed to having to use the general other-window bound to C-x o.