Re: Shouldn't vc-dir show only files under VC by default?

From: ndame
Subject: Re: Shouldn't vc-dir show only files under VC by default?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 06:32:48 +0200 (CEST)

> AFAIK, the "normal" way to work with tools like Git, Svn, ... is to set
> your "ignores" such that all those "other files" don't appear.
>
> IOW, "unregistered" are warnings reminding you that you haven't
> yet told your tool whether to control them or ignore them.

The problem is I have to use a tool (Android Studio) which generates
lots of extra files and directories automatically in the source tree
which I may or may not modify. If I don't modify them then they can be
ignored, but if I do modify them then I have to add them to git and in
the latter case it is inconvenient that I have to unignore the file
first.

It would be much simpler to simply don't show unregistered files by
default and have a key to show them only if I need to add some of them
to git.

I guess emacs devs don't use such tools which generates extra files
like this, that's why the need is not obvious that unregistered files
are unconvenient to show by default.

But I admit it is somewhat uncommon that I use Android Studio (which
is kind of unavoidable if one develops an Android app, because of the
support it provides) and I use emacs for version control. It is
because I find Android Studio's commit/diff tools inferior to emacs.