Re: Shouldn't vc-dir show only files under VC by default?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Shouldn't vc-dir show only files under VC by default?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:14:16 +0300

> From: ndame <emacsuser@freemail.hu>
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 06:32:48 +0200 (CEST)
>
> The problem is I have to use a tool (Android Studio) which generates
> lots of extra files and directories automatically in the source tree
> which I may or may not modify. If I don't modify them then they can be
> ignored, but if I do modify them then I have to add them to git and in
> the latter case it is inconvenient that I have to unignore the file
> first.

Sorry, I don't understand how modifying or not modifying these files
affects whether they should be ignored (by putting them in
.gitignore).  Can you explain?

> It would be much simpler to simply don't show unregistered files by
> default and have a key to show them only if I need to add some of them
> to git.

The way VC knows whether they might need to be added is via the
.gitignore file.  So the easiest way to solve your problem is to add
patterns to that file that would ignore the generated files.
Alternatively, maybe you can cause the Studio to generate them in a
special directory.

> I guess emacs devs don't use such tools which generates extra files
> like this, that's why the need is not obvious that unregistered files
> are unconvenient to show by default.

I build Emacs inside the Git repository, and that creates a lot of
files I don't care about.  They are all in .gitignore.