Re: Emacs as Java ICE

From: Carlos Konstanski
Subject: Re: Emacs as Java ICE
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 22:22:10 -0700

JDEE and lsp-java seem to be the two real IDE packages for java. They are very
different from one another in their approaches. I'm far more familiar with JDEE
(because it's older and it existed back when I first needed a java IDE for emacs
in 2004) but I'm eager to learn more about lsp-java. One thing that I have not
been able to figure out with JDEE, and hope that lsp-java handles better, is
microservice architecture. These days it is increasingly common for an
application to be comprised of multiple components which are each their own sub-
project and which may have cross-dependencies with the other components. The
definition of a symbol might be in a different component, and compiling a
component might require first compiling another component. A modern java IDE
must be able to handle this architecture.