Re: use-default-font-for-symbols vs. emojis

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: use-default-font-for-symbols vs. emojis
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 00:40:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Btw, the original problem was not with emoji,

Right, I admit I changed the topic (though I took care to M-x
message-change-subject first :).

>                                               it was with U+2699, for
> which I see no reason to use a font different from the default, except
> in exceptional cases (for which you have that variable).

In my case, the reason is as trivial as "it wooks pwetty".

I do acknowledge that using e.g. Noto Color Emoji comes with a few
disadvantages though (characters have variable widths; their foreground
color cannot be set…); I plan on using color emoji mainly as mode line
lighters.

>                                                           Emoji are
> usually displayed by specialized fonts anyway, because fonts we use
> for the default face are unlikely to cover emoji.

Mmm… if I'm reading these Unicode documents right,

- the font used for the default face likely covers a few "emoji"[1]
  (e.g. I use DejaVu Sans Mono, which has U+2699 ⚙ and U+26A0 ⚠),

- although some (most?) of those will have their Emoji_Presentation
  property set to "No"[2], so it makes sense to display them with the
  default font.

[1] https://unicode.org/Public/emoji/12.1/emoji-data.txt
[2] http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/#Emoji_Presentation