Re: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 15:34:28 +0100

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 09:18:56AM -0500, John Yates wrote:

[...]

> An Apollo UUID contained the equivalent of the MAC address for
[...]

Thanks for this enjoyable history lesson!

I didn't know that this MAC-in-UUID thing originated in
Apollo  (and din't know why it was there: now it makes
sense). I just took it for one of those typical Microsoft
messups.

The MAC-in-UUID is now mostly gone, for privacy reasons,
and perhaps even obsolete, with mobile devices rolling
their dice each time they need an UUID.

But yes, tracking files around is an iteresting problem
in itself, digging up even more interesting philosophical
questions (and technical, of course).

Cheers
-- tomás