RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?

From: arthur miller
Subject: RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 13:31:01 +0000

Interesting discussion.

To me it is clear that any solution to a file format, such as plain ascii text,
is going to be external to annotated file itself. Whatever you use, Drew's
bookmarks+, file- or dir-local, or some other custom. An external solution
implies that you will have your annotation in different place then file itself
which you will have to take care off with backups, moving etc. You could
automate that by implementing some kind of file handler as Drew suggested some
day ago. You can implement something in Emacs as a hook to file save and/or
dired machinery or if you are on Gnu/linux you could use inotify.

Otherwise there is Org, you can use org mode (or something similar) and
implement your annotations as references or hyperlinks or something else. That
would turn your text file into org text file.

There is also some org annotation mode that won't change your original text fil:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgAnnotateFile

 but with same problem of having annotation separated from the original file.

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.