Re: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 19:43:26 +0100

On 2020-01-09, at 04:57, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> I've been wondering if there is some package which could let me make
>> "temporary notes" in Emacs buffers, similar to (but different than) the
>> "yellow notes" in some pdf viewers.
>
> Just for fun I've created a template for how the least common multiple
> of our expectations could look like.  I guess there are many different
> expectations of how contents, visualizations and ways of saving for
> notes could look like, so I made it so that all of that is changeable
> and extensible.
>
> I'm not yet sure what would have to be done to support mass annotation
> from occur buffers since I don't use them a lot.
>
> I'm also not sure where in the implementation I could rely on existing
> code - especially for saving (eieio-persistent maybe?).

Hi Michael,

and thanks for this.  (Unfortunately, I could no longer follow the
discussion, because life & time, but I'd really like to catch up.)

This looks quite interesting.  Things I'd probably change would be:
highlighting the region instead of the character at point, jumping to
previous/next note, a list of notes, and an overlay showing the text of
the note even without hovering on it.  Of course, this would be a major
effort, but I like your PoC.

I'd really like to work on it, but realistically, I won't be able for at
least several months:-(...

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski