RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 15:10:46 -0800 (PST)

> What I suggested is switching to a bookmark file
> that has _only_ bookmarks for the target file,
> as opposed to just loading such a bookmark file
> to add to the already loaded bookmarks for targets
> elsewhere.
> But there are other, i.e., additional, ways to group
> bookmarks, besides a bookmark file.  As the doc says:
>
>   Unlike the other ways of organizing bookmarks into sets (tags,
>   bookmark-list bookmarks, etc.) bookmark files represent
>   physical, not logical, groupings of bookmarks.
>
> Bookmarks themselves can be saved in any bookmark
> file, and in any number of different bookmark files.

It occurred to me that this info might also help Michael (dunno).

Instead of having a different bookmark file for each target file,
to hold all bookmarks for it, you can use a filtered bookmark-list
display that shows only those bookmarks.  This is a logical
grouping, not a physical grouping, as mentioned above.

In the bookmark-list display (buffer `*Bookmark List*'), you can
use `= f S' to show only bookmarks that target a given file (it
prompts you for the file name).

(Similarly, `= b S' shows only bookmarks that target a given
non-file buffer.)

Using different bookmark-list displays for organizing bookmarks
is in many ways more flexible than using different bookmark files.
Among other things, it lets you mark bookmarks and then act on
them in various ways.  (The Bookmark+ bookmark-list UI is much
like Dired's.)

---

Now let's suppose that you've done that, so `*Bookmark List*'
shows all bookmarks for file `foo.nada', and no other bookmarks.
That may well be all you need.

But let's also suppose that you decide that, for some reason,
you actually do want those bookmarks grouped physically, in their
own bookmark file, so that `foo.nada' has its own, dedicated
bookmark file.

All you need to do for that is this:

1. Mark the bookmarks in `*Bookmark List*' (e.g. after filtering
   so it shows only bookmarks for `foo.nada').

2. Use `Y > 0', to create a new bookmark file for just the marked
   bookmarks.

   Or use `C-u Y > 0' to do that plus create a bookmark to that
   bookmark file.  Using this bookmark automatically loads that
   bookmark file

   (`C-x j y' anywhere, or `J y' in `*Bookmark List*', jumps to
   a bookmark-file bookmark, and with a prefix arg it switches
   to that bookmark file, instead of just adding its bookmarks.)

You don't need to these remember key bindings.  You can use the
`Bookmark+' menu in buffer `*Bookmark List*'.  In submenu
`Bookmark File' you find most of the commands for using bookmark
files: creating, copying or moving bookmarks among them,
bookmarking them, etc.  And in submenu `Jump To' you find item
`Bookmark File' (`J y').

In `Bookmark+' > `Bookmark File' you find these menu items, along
with their keys.

 Revert to Saved Bookmark File...           C-u g
 Switch to Bookmark File...                 L
 Add Bookmarks from File...                 l
 Load Bookmark File, Mark Loaded...
 Load Bookmark File, Mark Only Loaded...
 Load Marked Bookmark-File Bookmarks...     M-l
 Move Marked to Bookmark File...            Y > -
 Copy Marked to Bookmark File...            Y > +
 Copy Marked to New Bookmark File...        Y > 0
 Set Bookmark-File Bookmark from Marked...  C-u Y > 0
 Empty Bookmark File...                     C-x p 0

(`Switch to Bookmark File' also has global binding `C-x p L'.

Menus are good for discovering operations and reminding about
their key bindings.