RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 09:54:43 -0800 (PST)

> > Vanilla Emacs bookmarks provide the ability to annotate.
> > Bookmark+ enhances annotating (e.g. to use Org and
> > indirection), but the annotation provided by vanilla
> > Emacs bookmarking does what you requested.

(Note: That statement is only about annotating.
Your response is about automatic relocation and
highlighting.)

> Do Vanilla bookmarks really recognize automatically
> when a bookmarked position has changed because the
> user has inserted some preceding text?  I mean, I
> know bookmarks save surrounding text to work around that
> problem but that works only by luck most of the time.

Yes.  I don't think it works only by luck most of
the time.  I think it works well most of the time.

Of course, if there are large edits before the
next time you jump to a bookmark, then, yes, it
might not be possible to relocate it automatically
(in which case you're prompted to relocate it
manually).

But edits between jumps to a bookmark are, I think,
typically not so large as to prevent automatic
relocating.

Also, the automatic relocation of Bookmark+ is
better than that of vanilla Emacs.

> Same question for highlighting bookmarked positions:
> I thought such features were only added by "bookmark+"?

Correct.  That is added by Bookmark+.  It's not
available with vanilla bookmark handling.

If you use Bookmark+ then the highlighting is
available also for bookmarks created with vanilla
Emacs.  But the highlighting is not available
without Bookmark+.