RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:32:19 -0800 (PST)

> Thanks, that approach would probably work for what I have in mind.
>
> The second part would be saving: when I want to save back the file's
> "local bookmarks", how would I do that?  I guess I would have to
> separate those bookmarks from the other bookmarks that were already
> loaded before the file had been visited.  I obviously don't want to
> duplicate all the bookmarks from the default bookmark file.  It would
> be good if the bookmark objects would know by themselves what their
> individual corresponding save place is.

I don't quite follow (and I think this is maybe
getting into the weeds now, for a general Emacs
help list).

What I suggested is switching to a bookmark file
that has _only_ bookmarks for the target file,
as opposed to just loading such a bookmark file
to add to the already loaded bookmarks for targets
elsewhere.

You save those bookmarks by saving the bookmark
file, i.e., by saving the current `bookmark-alist',
i.e., by using `bookmark-save':

  bookmark-save is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
  'bookmark+-1.el'.

  It is bound to C-x p s, menu-bar search bookmark save.

  (bookmark-save &optional PARG FILE)

  Save currently defined bookmarks.
  Save by default in the file named by variable
  'bmkp-current-bookmark-file'.  With a prefix arg, you are prompted for
  the file to save to.

  If 'bmkp-last-as-first-bookmark-file' is non-nil, update its value to
  the file being saved.

  To load bookmarks from a specific file, use 'C-x p l'
  ('bookmark-load').

  If called from Lisp:
   With nil PARG and nil FILE, use file 'bmkp-current-bookmark-file'.
   With non-nil FILE, use file FILE.
   With non-nil PARG, prompt the user for the file to use.

But there are other, i.e., additional, ways to group
bookmarks, besides a bookmark file.  As the doc says:

  Unlike the other ways of organizing bookmarks into sets (tags,
  bookmark-list bookmarks, etc.) bookmark files represent
  physical, not logical, groupings of bookmarks.

Bookmarks themselves can be saved in any bookmark
file, and in any number of different bookmark files.