Re: 26.3, 28; Set Default Font... CMU Typewriter Text

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: 26.3, 28; Set Default Font... CMU Typewriter Text
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:24:22 +0100

>>>>> On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 00:08:35 +1100, VanL <van@scratch.space> said:

    VanL> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >> >> Emacs.FontBackend: ftcrhb,x

    VanL> Emacs.FontBackend: ftcrhb,xft,x

    VanL> Emacs must use FreeType as the above JustWorks™ for the
    VanL> context its in.

    >> Why are you messing with Emacs.FontBackend? I canʼt think of any
    >> reason why you should need to set that explicitly rather than letting
    >> Emacs work it out by itself.

    VanL> The creepy crawly spidery font that occurs in Emacs-28 between quote
    VanL> marks, by default, was something I lived with to the moment it was
    VanL> raised in a thread on emacs-devel.   Then on, I followed the
discussion
    VanL> on fonts to improve that setting.   And, pieced together the info that
    VanL> is at the head of this thread.   Another discomfort I live with is a
    VanL> long delay when I first open a file with a mix of CJ asia east fonts.

OK, but that has nothing to do with FontBackend. If the default font
is not to your liking, you can change it easily enough.

The delay I think is inevitable when Emacs has to search through lots
of fonts.

Robert